WVU Cider University
MARTINSBURG — Look at signing up for WVUES for the forthcoming Cider School, taking position around the following quite a few months. This has been scheduled as a “lunch and learn” design and style instructional opportunity. Pre-registration is required for these no cost activities right here, https://bit.ly/3wEYXMB.
• June 1 – Session 2: Apple Tree Traits for Cider offered by Michael Gutensohn, noon-1 p.m.
• June 8 – Session 3: Apple Insect Administration introduced by Carlos Quesada, noon-1 p.m.
• June 15 – Session 4: Apple Ailments and Their Management offered by Mahfuz Rahman, midday-1 p.m.
• June 16 – Cidery Tour 1 at Hawk Knob Tricky Cider and Mead, 1-4 p.m.
• June 23 – Cidery Tour 2 at Swilled Canine Hard Cider & Spirits, 1-4 p.m.
• June 29 – WV Cider Advisory Board Meeting, midday-1 p.m.
• July 13 – Session 5: Cider Industry Financial Feasibility, Promoting Options, and Lawful Factors offered by Doolarie Singh-Knights, Jesse Richardson, and Lisa Jones, midday-2 p.m.
Farm diversification workshops made available
MARTINSBURG — WVU Extension in Berkeley and Jefferson counties is furnishing a few on-farm workshops in the parts of rabbit manufacturing, poultry processing and little ruminant creation.
These workshops are designed achievable by a USDA Farm Company Company (FSA) Pandemic Help for Producers Initiative grant, enabling the skill to provide supplies to the to start with 20 farms/family members that implement in get to commence or increase enterprises.
The dates and subject matter areas are as follows:
• Modest-scale poultry processing – June 14 at 6 p.m. and will address poultry output, biosecurity and yard processing at Crimson House Farm, Bunker Hill.
• Receiving started out with small ruminants – July 7 at 6 p.m. and will address small ruminant nourishment, breeding and herd wellbeing and be held at Rawlings Farm, Summit Point.
To sign up, pay a visit to www.rebrand.ly/FarmWorkshops.
For additional information and facts, make contact with Emily Morrow, Jefferson County Extension agent, at 304-728-7413, email [email protected] or Mary Beth Bennett, Berkeley County Extension agent, at 304-264-1936 or [email protected]
Maryland Beef Producers Limited system set for June
KEEDYSVILLE, Md. — The University of Maryland is presenting a Maryland Beef Producers Limited training course collection on “The Fundamentals of Beef Cattle Output,” with the area software becoming presented at the Western Maryland Exploration and Instruction Centre in Keedysville, Maryland, on June 3-4. The value is $75 (incorporates all refreshments, lunches and academic supplies).
For much more information about this two-day workshop, stop by their internet site: https://ansc.umd.edu/extension/beef-extension/educational-classes#series-i.
To register online go to: https://umdbeef-series1.eventbrite.com/.
Call Racheal Slattery at [email protected] or cellular phone 301-405-1392 with any inquiries or fears or to register via examine/funds.
Master Gardener schooling plan accepting apps
MARTINSBURG — Purposes are now available for the 2022 Drop Extension Grasp Gardener classes that will begin Aug. 15. Deadline to register is July 1.
For more information and facts on the Learn Gardener Plan, go to: https://extension.wvu.edu/data files/d/bdf70fa9-f174-4e76-b7e2-d00f8c0dd49b/berkeley-jefferson-emg-brochure-2019.pdf.
Virginia Cooperative Extension giving Cattle and Equine Packages
MARTINSBURG — This June, Virginia Cooperative Extension is giving three trainings to support you program and build your cattle herd. June 3, discover how to opt for, size, alter generation, and marketplace your herd. June 17, join the palms-on workshop for producers contemplating artificial insemination as a suggests to boost their herd. Sign up for us at the Virginia Tech MARE Center. Register at little bit.ly/VCEBeef22 The Northern Valley Extension group has joined forces with the Northern Piedmont Extension group to provide these courses.
Description of workshops:
– June 3: AM course. Deciding upon, Sizing, and Marketing and advertising the Right Herd for You. A classroom method for start off-up producers and these early in their beef operations. Subject areas consist of operations sorts, breed qualities, herd enlargement choices, and promoting model criteria.
– June 3: PM course. Changing Present Generation and Advertising Products. A classroom system for expert beef producers considering critically about herd efficiencies, breeding solutions, and internet marketing strategies.
– June 17: AM and PM course. Assisted Replica Workshop. A fingers-on workshop for producers considering artificial insemination as a implies to enhance their herd. This program entails doing work with cattle reproduction tracts and observing the insemination of heifers.
They are also offering an Equine Nourishment Lecture Collection: Biomolecules and Your Horse’s Overall health:
Supplements: Tuesday, June 21 at 6:30 p.m. (Virtual)
Equine Feed Labels: Tuesday, July 26 at 6:30 p.m. (Digital)
Equine Existence Phases: Wednesday, Aug. 24 at 6:30 p.m. (Digital)
Use the link https://little bit.ly/VCE220428 #VaCoopExt to register for any of the following Zoom equine classes.
Critical Approaching Dates
• July 30- Aug. 6, 2022 – 75th Berkeley County Youth Fair
• Aug. 13–16, 2022 — 80th annual West Virginia Dairy Display
• Aug. 11–20, 2022 — West Virginia Point out Good
• Aug. 21–27, 2022 — Jefferson County Reasonable
• Stake and mulch tomatoes.
• Trellis cucumbers.
• Plant asparagus beans.
• Transplant fennel.
• Seed Roma beans.
• Seed lettuce as a companion plant to tomatoes.
• Seed snap beans and carrots.
• Seed summertime squash and corn for late crop.